Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Satinel Test

test knit by lukknits
Beautiful rib pattern for the body!


This is the first time I've knit any of Asja Janeczek's patterns, and it probably won't be the last (Ziggyzack, Wild Grass, Whiskey on the Rocks, I'm looking at you) - I had a great time throughout with the attention to detail and interesting construction. Yes, it's a top-down raglan, and perhaps that seems pretty run of the mill, but it's made in a way that accounts for small details such as the way the short rows don't introduce asymmetry in the garment (even though I usually just leave it with one side having one more row than the other in my own designs - shame on me!) as well as the very narrow front which allows for the generous neckband. It's definitely something I would never have been able to think up on my own, and that's one of my favourite aspects to following other designers' patterns!


testknit by lukknits
Stockinette brioche


The only big mod I made to the original design (with permission) was to crop the cardigan so it hit my hip rather than my thigh. Of course, the sleeves were shortened as well to match the body so the proportions would work out. The only other thing was that because I don't own 3.75mm needles, having never had to use them before, I ended up using 3.5mm for all the brioche parts. It was my first time knitting stockinette brioche, and I really love the way the knit side looks! I could probably use that as the main fabric for an entire sweater, myself. The purl brioche I'm not sure how I feel about on its own, but the cuffs match the neckband, and I do like how it looks on the neckband. That's one of the details I was surprised by when I actually got to it, because the main photo for the original design was worn WS out, showing what looked to be a rib cuff (pretty normal).


testknit by lukknits
Worn wrong-side out, the rib pattern is more prominent


What really sold me though, was the rib pattern. at first I thought it might be a cable, since I've never really worked with rib patterns like this before, but I love how subtle it is from the right side! All the little details that went into designing this cardigan make it absolutely perfect for every season - I originally wanted to make it using a silver dk-weight silk/linen mix, but couldn't get gauge - and the knitting goes by very quickly with the easily memorized rib pattern that keeps things interesting as you go.

Thank you Asja for the opportunity to testknit this pattern!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I can't thank you enough for making your Satinel in your own, wonderful style! I am so in love with all your modifications! I've always imagined this design as a long trench style garment, but your version show of the pattern and details so beautifully and suits you so wonderful 💗 thank you for showing me the possibilities this design give 💗 I love it 😍💓😘 and I really hope it will keep you warm each time you wear it 😀💗

    ReplyDelete